CASS Study Tour and Field Trip Travel Grant

Please refer to the application dates below and visit the Global Programs portal to apply.

The ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences (CASS) Study Tour and Field Trip Travel Grant is an equity grant for students who are going on an approved short-term domestic or international study tour or field trip that counts toward academic credit.

Successful applicants will be paid in one instalment prior to departure upon proof of enrolment into the short-term study tour or field trip course. The travel grants are up to $1,000 for domestic travel, up to $3,000 for international travel. In light of constant COVID changes, these grants are to be used for refundable expenditure only. In the event any fieldwork is cancelled, the grants will need to be repaid.

For the full conditions of the Travel Grant, see the Conditions of Award.

Who can apply?

To be eligible you:

  • are either a domestic or international student
  • are enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program in CASS
  • will be enrolled in a short term study tour or field trip course in CASS 
  • satisfy one or more of the following equity criteria
    • recipient of government allowance (Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy)
    • refugee status
    • proof of financial hardship (if not a recipient of government allowance) in the form of a statutory declaration. A statutory declaration is a written statement which you sign and declare to be true before an authorised witness. You can include details of your normal income / expenses, copy of recent bank account statements, pay slips, and/or other supporting documentation.

Selection is made on the basis of applicants meeting the eligibility criteria. Academic merit may also be considered.

Please note: students who are not enrolled in a coursework program managed by CASS are NOT eligible to apply. 

How to apply

  1. Determine whether you can meet the eligibility criteria listed above and in the Conditions of Award.
  2. Apply via the Global Programs application portal. 

2022 Application dates

1 April 2022 - 30 June 2022


Prizes and Scholarships Officer
ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences 

T +61 2 6125 1832

Frequently asked questions

What documentation must I supply?

Applications under Government allowance 
Upload Centrelink correspondence (must be the full letter no older than 3-6 months) outlining your benefit

Refugee status:
A copy of your visa/passport details of your humanitarian visa

Proof of financial hardship: A statutory declaration outlining your financial circumstances and an explaination as to why you need support from this travel grant. 
PLEASE NOTE: If you are a domestic student who does NOT receive government support, please outline the reasons as to why you are not eligible, or provide proof of Centrelink lodgement. 

You must support your statutory declaration with evidence in the form of:
-   A sufficient amount of payslips/ your most recent payment summary to demonstrate financial hardship or
-   Evidence of incoming and outgoing expenses in the form of a budget or
-   Any other supporting evidence you wish to provide.

What is a Statutory Declaration?

statutory declaration is a written statement that a person signs and declares to be true and correct before an authorised witness. A person who intentionally makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence, punishable by significant fines or imprisonment. Statutory declarations do not need to be in a prescribed form but must contain an acknowledgement that it is true and correct and is made in the belief that a person making a false declaration is liable significant penalties.The person making a statutory declaration must sign it in the presence of a person who is authorised to witness the document. Download a template here

What is an appropriate goverment allowance statement?

This is your latest statement from the government outlining your Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy, Centrelink benefits. You must provide the full document (not just the first page). The statement must be no older than three - six months from the date of your application for the travel grant. 

What if I don't yet have offical Centrelink benefits, or my Centrelink application is pending?

You must outline your circumstances via a statutory declaration, including the dates you applied for government allowance. Please provide details of your current financial circumstances to support your application. 

Search this site only

Updated:  12 April 2022/Responsible Officer:  CASS Marketing & Communications/Page Contact:  CASS Marketing & Communications