Semester One 2021 applications now open.
The Sydney Speaks Master's Thesis Award is on offer to students enrolled or enrolling in the Masters of General and Applied Linguistics (Advanced) program in the School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics, and writing a thesis on variation and change in Australian English, that will contribute to the Sydney Speaks project.
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of $4,000 in the form of a one-off payment, at the beginning of the semester in which they commence the supervised thesis course, unless otherwise stated in the letter of offer.
Applications are open from 1 July - 1 September for commencement in semester 1 the following year, and from 1 March - 30 April for commencement in semester 2.
Who can apply?
Students enrolled/enrolling in the Masters of General and Applied Linguistics (Advanced) program in the ANU School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics, who are completing a thesis on variation and change in Australian English.
To be eligible for consideration, scholarship applicants must:
- Enrolled or approved to enrol in a relevant Linguistics thesis course in the ANU School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics (THES8102).
Applicants will be ranked on the basis of:
- Academic merit
- Research potential in the area of linguistics
- Demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively and independently, and to complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Background in sociolinguistics and phonetics may also be taken into account.
This should be demonstrated in an application consisting of:
- Latest CV
- Thesis proposal of no more than 1,000 words (Please contact Catherine.Travis@anu.edu.au to discuss this)
- Two referee reports (referees can be personal, professional or academic)
- ANU Academic Record (transcript), or a copy of latest Academic Record from another institution.
Conditions of Award
Download the Conditions of Award (PDF 176KB)
How to apply
- Determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria listed above and in the Conditions of Award
- To apply for the Sydney Speaks Master's Thesis Award please fill out the application form below
- If applying via the hardcopy application form, please email the form and attachments to CoEDL@anu.edu.au
Please keep a copy of your application for your records.
Professor Catherine Travis
Chief Investigator, Sydney Speaks Project
ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language, ANU