Graduate research degrees, Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), are available in over 20 disciplines in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
Admission to a postgraduate research degree normally requires you to have completed an Honours degree (at Honours 2A or above), or equivalent prior studies (such as a Masters degree) that includes a research component. Generally it is assumed that you have completed your studies in a discipline related to the area in which you would like to do research.
You are required to identify a potential supervisor for your MPhil or PhD as part of your application. Please email us details about your highest level of qualification and area of interest. We will then forward your expression of interest to the Graduate Research Convenor for your discipline.
Once you have identified a potential supervisor you can lodge your application.
For domestic applicants and international applicants:online application
Your postgraduate research application should include:
- a research proposal (2-5 pages)
- transcripts for all relevant qualifications
- a current curriculum vitae, including a list of relevant publications, prizes and awards
- three referee reports
- the name of a potential supervisor
- English language test results (if applicable)
- sample research, such as a chapter from an Honours thesis or excerpt from a publication (optional).
Your potential supervisor and graduate research convenor will be able to provide you with advice on the preparation of your research proposal. In writing your research proposal you should consider:
- the field of research or topic of investigation
- your primary research objective or central research question to address
- the context and background of your research
- the value of your research and the contribution it will make to your field
- your research strategy and methods.
Admission and scholarships for postgraduate research degrees are applied for together. You need to indicate as part of your application for admission if you wish to be considered for a scholarship.
Applications for scholarships for international students close on 31 August each year, and for domestic students close on 31 October each year.
Find out more about the scholarships available.
For further information about postgraduate research degrees you can email or phone us
+61 (02) 6125 2898.