European Studies Planning Forum
The European Studies Planning Forum will be held on Tuesday, 10 March 2009 in the National Europe Centre, Liversidge Street . The Forum will commence at 9.00 am and conclude at 1.00 pm (followed by a light lunch).
The external moderator for the European Studies Planning Forum will be Professor Paul Furlong, Head, Cardiff School of European Studies, Cardiff University.
The purpose of the European Studies Planning Forum will be for the College to determine a number of key issues:
- the extent to which European and EU studies is or is not a central focus (or ought to be) of our teaching and research activities.
- to examine the future roles and location of the NEC.
- the role and significance of external funding sources in supporting European activities, particularly the EU funding programs of the sort which support EU Centres in Australia and Spanish Cultural Cooperation Program which is hosted by the ANU.
- to examine the extent of current CASS engagement with Europe, examining inter alia the roles of the ANU Representative in Brussels, and the new joint postdoctoral position with the University of Konstanz, Germany.
- to examine how the College can make better strategic use of its proximity to Government and the Diplomatic Communities for the benefit of its teaching and research activities.
Those of you with academic interests in European studies are strongly encouraged to participate in this discussion as it will determine the extent to which the College engages in European studies into the short to medium term.
Staff are also invited to make written submissions of no more than 2 pages in length. In particular, it would be informative to have submissions that outline where you have a major teaching or research interest in Europe. At this point we would like to map out all our activity that could be seen as coming under the general area of European studies including social sciences, humanities, and the creative arts. This will provide us with material that we can then put together to determine the concentration of activity in European studies across CASS.
Submissions: Written submissions should be sent electronically to PlanningForum.CASS@anu.edu.au by Wednesday, 4 March 2009.
Chair: Professor Nicolas Peterson, Faculty of Arts
Moderator: Professor Paul Furlong, University of Cardiff
Coffee on arrival
|9:15am - 9.30am||Welcome by the Dean - The ANU context||Professor Toni Makkai|
|9.30-9.45am||Overview of the NEC||Professor Simon Bronitt|
|9.45am-10.30am||Research: What do we do now?||Open Discussion|
|11.00am-12noon||Future strategic directions for European Studies in CASS||Open Discussion|
|12.00-12.30pm||General Discussion||Open Discussion|
|12.30pm-1.00pm||Moderator's Observations||Professor Paul, Furlong|
Student Data 2003-2008